Monday, October 11, 2010

Autism Society of Michigan and other recommendations

I got a note today from Ginny who has been on the board of the Autism Society of Michigan and who's now grown son has benefited from her work with that organization.  She wanted to make sure we included it in our list of recommended sites.

Right now we just have Pam's list and a few other recommendations scattered in the comments.  In the future, I will create a separate page on this blog for a master list of lists.  My impulse as a librarian is to get as many options out there as possible, and then let the individual choose what is right for her or his needs.  Might be a good idea to pass along a clipboard during meetings to get everyone's favorite web sites and book titles.

I'm kind of keen on a book I'm reading right now:  Getting the Best for Your Child with Autism by Bryna Siegel, 2008 Guilford Press.  I like the way the author breaks down all the different things different ASD kids need help with and how different therapy approaches and can address those different needs.  I got this title off of the list of titles Dr. Nidiffer recommended in our follow-up from my daughter's spin through the Developmental Clinic at MGH.  I'll contact him about publishing his entire list.

Another list I'd like to get going on this site is favorite things to do/places to take kids on the spectrum.  One we like is "Kids' Climb" (scroll down) Friday nights at NMU's PEIF.  They use harnesses that are tethered to a spotter so my daughter can climb as high as she wants without giving her poor old mother a heart attack.  It's free for kids five and under. 

BTW:  I contacted the Autism of Society of Michigan a few days ago about what would be entailed in becoming one of their chapters and what the benefits might be for our group.  Not sure if we will want to go that route or not.  I personally don't know enough about it, but we could put it out for discussion when we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Include contact informatin if you want me to reply.